Eating five fruits or vegetables a day, is a lot for many but our body requires that we eat them. Here are 10 fruits that you should be eating!
10) Apple“An apple a day keeps the doctor away” – No, this isn’t suggesting giving an apple to the doctor will keep them away, but that you must eat them!
Apples are one of the most commonly eaten fruits. They are both delicious and relatively cheap. This fruit is good for your health, especially because it contains pectin, a soluble fiber known to regulate intestinal transit. Used as an appetite suppressant, apples are low in calories and several studies show that the consumption of several apples a day could contribute to a significant drop in cholesterol levels, especially the so-called “bad cholesterol”.
Apples are also rich in flavonoids, antioxidants, and some physicians believe they could prevent strokes. Several studies demonstrate that eating apples regularly will help prevent colon cancer or prostate cancer.
9) BananaRich in vitamin C, bananas would effectively boost our immune system, protecting our bodies colds and other small “chills”. Moreover, while many women suffer from iron deficiency, bananas could help in the fight against this while promoting good humour as it contains serotonin. Rich in potassium, bananas helps regulate blood pressure, limits negative cardiovascular events and halts the formation of kidney stones. Bananas are easy to digest and rich in fiber which promotes intestinal transit.
8) LemonLemons are amazing for detoxing because they stimulate activity in the kidneys, which aids in the elimination of toxins. Rich in flavonoids, lemons have antioxidant properties that may prevent cardiovascular disease and cellular aging. Bactericidal and antiseptic, lemon juice is a great ally if you’re more susceptible to colds or sore throats. It is believed that lemons, like garlic, clean blood and relieve the digestive system of some inconveniences like diarrhea.
7) PineapplePineapples are a tropical fruit loved by children and adults alike. As pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme that has anti-inflammatory properties, they help improve blood circulation and promote digestion. The enzyme bromelain is used in medicine for reducing swelling. Pineapple is also known to help promote weight loss, but we must pay attention to the sugar content of the fruit and not overuse it!
This fruit also contains vitamins A, B and C, making it an excellent fruit to boost the immune system, nervous system and memory.
6) ApricotThis fruit is rich in potassium, a mineral salt which helps prevent hypertension and osteoporosis. The apricot is rich in carotenoids, nutrients, antioxidants which help fight against certain types of cancer, osteoarthritis or cataracts.
It’s Light, sweet, palatable, and is also an excellent source of vitamins A, C and E. Very low in calories, apricots also help relieve constipation.
5) MelonThe quintessential summer fruit, melons are rich in vitamins C which is important to help the immune system be effective. This fruit is also rich in carotenoids, preventing cancer and heart disease.
Melons are composed of a mostly water. Melon can help the skin to fight against sunburn. Melon increases appetite, as it has diuretic properties and fights against high blood pressure.
4) StrawberryStrawberries are a fairly popular, and commonly loved fruit. They contain little sugar, and are traditionally used in cakes or tarts. This fruit has a nice red firey colour and contain anthocyanins which help fight cancer. Anthocyanins are thought to help slow the growth of cancer cells in the colon or prostate.
Strawberries also have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antiviral properties which make them a good fruit to help us stay healthy!
3) MangoMango is a tropical fruit that is fun to discover and rediscover. A source of magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron, mango is also rich in vitamins C and E and beta-carotene, flavonoids and soluble fibers. This fruit helps prevent some cancers, and helps the digestive system. Through the antioxidant properties of the fruit, mango have a protective effect on the cells. This vitamin A rich fruit promotes healthy eyes while the mango fruit is easy to digest. Furthermore, vitamin E contained in the fruit help to increase libido.
2) KiwiMy favourite of all fruits! Bright green in colour, and strange looking because of their “hairy” appearing flesh. Kiwis are a good, healthy fruit with multiple benefits. Rich in vitamin C, kiwis are also packed with vitamins A and E, as well as antioxidants that neutralize free radicals, preventing cell aging and certain types of cancer. Kiwis are also rich in fiber, which promote good bowel movements. In addition, medical studies have shown that kiwi could positively affect blood flow, while reducing the phenomenon of aggregation of platelets, which would limit the risk of heart attack.